Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mango with Sticky Rice - Thai Dessert

I wasn't from Thailand but this time I try to make a famuos dessert from Thai.

I ate this dessert while we had been gone at Seattle. We ate lunch at Thai Ocean, West Seattle. This is seasonal dessert and available on Mango season only.

It is the best way to enjoy mango and to pair the sweet fruit with sweet and salty coconut-milk sticky rice.

Here, I will share the recipe with you and maybe give you some ideas.

Please don't hesitate to drop me any comments or questions regarding this recipe, I need it to improve my cooking in the future. Thank you :-)

Source : Thaifood.about.com modified by me

What you need :

- 1/2 cup raw sticky rice, soak in water for at least 1 hour.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, I used chao koh brand, shaken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 tablespoon white sugar, I used Equal sugar
- 1 sweet ripe yellow mango
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)

For the sauce :
- 1/4 cup coconut milk , I used chao koh brand, shaken
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch dissolved with 1 teaspoon water

Make it :

1. Steam sticky rice along with salt, sugar and coconut milk, stir with wooden spoon once a while until the rice is fully cooked. 
2. Prepare the topping sauce as well. In a small saucepan, add coconut milk, sugar and salt, and stir over low heat until dissolved. Mix tapioca starch with water then add into sauce as well. Stir until thickened and remove from heat.
3. Slice mango as shown and arrange on plate. Spoon an equal amount of sticky ice next to it and top with a few spoons of the ticker sauce. Garnish with toasted sesame seed. Enjoy!

Preparation : 5 minutes
Cooking : 20 minutes

Servings : 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment