Friday, May 15, 2009

Homemade Tomato and Chili Sauce (Sambal Tomat)

I have a few tomatoes in refrigerate, I cooked them  a piece everyday. We got a good deal in an little store along Guadalupe while we was driving from Pismo Beach then used the back street.

If my mom cooked this, she used a tool to grind the spices and the tomato. But I didn't found in here, actually I found one at Asian Store in Santa Barbara but the price is too much.
So this time I chopped all the ingredients with chopper.

The serving suggestion is any steamed vegetables or salad mix, with or without steamed rice, and fried/bake chicken.

How about the taste? The taste is little bit spicy (depends on how much chili did you put), tangy and sweet.

Here, I will share the recipe with you and maybe give you some ideas.

Please don't hesitate to drop me any comments or questions regarding this recipe, I need it to improve my cooking in the future. Thank you :-)

Source : my family recipe modified by me

What you need :

- 1 big piece tomato, diced
- 2 cloves shallots
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1/3 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili or sambal oeleg
- 2 tablespoon lime/lemon juice

Make it :

1. Chop into paste : tomato, crushed chili, garlic, shallots, shrimp paste, tamarind paste.
2. In a hot wok, add the paste, saute gently then add, brown sugar, salt.
3. Let cook until water are dissolved. Stop the cooking process.
4. Place into prepared bowl, then add lime juice, mix it. Serve with the vegetables.

Preparation : 2 minutes
Cooking : 6 minutes

Servings : 1 cups ( 2- servings)


No comments:

Post a Comment