Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thai Chicken Coconut Soup - Tom Kha Gai

Today I'm craving for Thai and spicy food. Firstly, I checked the ingredients that store in refrigerate.
I think I can make this dish. Actually on the weekend we ate at Thai Boat at Morro Bay, this dish is so delicious. While we was there, the weather little bit chills, so this soup is perfect.

I browse the recipe on the Internet, then I mixed from some recipes. I tried to adjust the ingredients with my taste.

This dish is very famous at Thai restaurant in the US, hmm actually number 2 after Tom Yam Goong. This dish is very easy and quick to make it. You can get the ingredients at Asian Store or even you can buy spices at Amazon.com.

Here, I will share the recipe with you and maybe give you some ideas.

Please don't hesitate to drop me any comments or questions regarding this recipe, I need it to improve my cooking in the future. Thank you :-)

Source : Some Thailand websites then I modified.

What you need :

- 8 oz coconut milk
- 2 pieces chicken thigh, cut into bite size
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 pieces kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cm knuckle of galangal
- 1 stalk lemon grass, brushes
- 2 cloves shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste or 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1/3 lbs string beans
- 2 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunches cilantro, thinly sliced
- 1 piece jalapeno, seeded, long cut
- 3 tablespoons fish oil
- salt
- sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 teaspoon chili paste, I used siracha chili sauce

Make it :

1. In a big pot, bring coconut oil into broil, put 6 oz of coconut oil. Add chicken, galangal, shallots, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, cook until chicken is half way cooked.
2. Add string beans and carrots until almost tender, add rest of the coconut milk, chili paste, green onion, cilantro, mushrooms, water/chicken stock, fish sauce. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
3. Adjust taste with salt, sugar. Stir gently. Let it simmer for 1 minutes.
4. Pour into individual bowl, garnish with green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Preparation : 10 minutes
Cooking : 15-20 minutes

Servings : 2-3 servings





No comments:

Post a Comment