Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mongolian Beef with Vegetables


This is almost as good as in the restaurant! It's nice and easy to make and tastes really good.
The marinade for the beef is unusual, but quite good. I add soy sauce to the marinade. I prepared this dish with a few vegetables to make an healthy meal.
I served this meal over brown rice.

I would recommend this dish if you wish to prepare a hearty and quick meal for your family.

Here, I will share the recipe with you and maybe give you some ideas.

Please don't hesitate to drop me any comments or questions regarding this recipe, I need it to improve my cooking in the future. Thank you :-)

Source: food.about.com modified by me

What you need:
1 lb sirloin or flank steak

Marinade:
  • 1 egg white
  • Pinch of salt - I didn't put any salt
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Sauce:
  • 3 teaspoon Hoisin sauce
  • 2 teaspoon water
  • 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce, I substituted with regular soy sauce
  • 2 tsp rice vinegar, or 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 1/4 tsp chili paste, or to taste
Other:
  • 1/2 tsp sugar, I substituted with brown sugar
  • 1 cup oil for frying beef
  • 1 teaspoon oil for stir-frying
  • 4 green onions, sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
  • 1/4 lb string bean, slice on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
  • 1/2 cup carrot
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
How to make it:
  1. Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips. Add the marinade ingredients in the order given and marinate the beef for thirty minutes.
  2. Mix together the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  3. When the beef has finished marinating, heat the wok and add 1 cup oil. When oil is ready, add the beef and fry until it changes color. Remove the beef from the wok and drain on paper towels.
  4. Clean out the wok with a paper towel, and add 2 tablespoons of oil for stir-frying. When the oil is ready, add the garlic. Stir-fry briefly, and add green peas and carrots. Add the green onions.
  5. Make a well in the middle of the wok by pushing the vegetables up to the side. Add the sauce and bring to a boil, stirring to thicken.
  6. Stir in the sugar. Add the beef and combine with the sauce and vegetables. Serve hot.

Serves : 2
Preparation : 20 minutes
Cooking : 15 minutes

4 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful , I am drooling over my keyboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful I am drooling over my keyboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beast : Thanks ;-) hahaha, you're too funny!

    @MissWassaisinadifferentcountry : Thanks Miss! Yup, it's really good. You're gonna love it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete